•  Early California Style
•  Mediterranean Design
•  Family YMCA Facilities
•  Community Pools & Spas
•  Master Planned Community
•  Houses, Condos, Townhomes
•  Bike Path & Green Belts
•  55-Acre Sports Park
•  Schools, Churches
•  Shopping & Retail
•  Fitness Center
Community History

CITY OF CAMARILLO

Rancho Calleguas; one of the last of the Mexican land grants, was almost 10,000 acres in size and was given to Jose Pedro Ruiz by Governor Alvarado in 1847.  Juan Camarillo (1812-1880) obtained the Rancho from the Ruiz Family in 1875. Juan had been a member of the Hijar-Padres Expedition to California in 1834. In 1857, Juan settled in what is now Ventura.

 

Following Juan's death in 1880, his eldest son Adolfo took over operations at the Ranch. Adolfo Camarillo (1864-1958) was 16 at the time, and during the next 68 years he operated the Camarillo Ranch, progressing from a mostly cattle operation to crops. Adolfo was a leading innovator, bringing in lima beans, as well as barley, corn, alfalfa, walnuts, and citrus to the area.

In 1888, Adolfo married Isabella Menchaca (1861-1936). They moved into an adobe home on the Ranch, which was later destroyed by fire. Adolfo and Isabel raised seven children together.

 

In 1890, with the help of two Chumash Indians, Adolfo planted two rows of eucalyptus trees. These trees arched across Highway 101 in Camarillo for many years. Some of those trees still line the north side of the Ventura Freeway. Over the years, Adolfo employed a number of Chumash Indians on the Ranch in a variety of capacities.

 

The Camarillo House was built in 1892 by Adolfo and a crew, utilizing the designs of prominent Ventura County Architects Herman Anlauf and Franklin Ward. This three-story, 14-room home was built in the Victorian Queen Anne style. Adolfo planted a number of trees near the house, some of which on the front lawn are now among the finest in California for their species.

 

Adolfo's younger brother, Juan Jr. (1867-1935), donated land for the construction of the St. Mary Magdalen Chapel, which was completed in 1914; and for St. John's Seminary, completed in 1930. Both facilities have been prominent in Camarillo history. For many years, Juan lived and worked in Ventura and Buenos Aires. Later in his life, Juan did return to Camarillo to make the Ranch his home.

 

Adolfo Camarillo was a leader in a number of organizations in Camarillo, Ventura County and California. These included the Ventura County Board of Supervisors, the Ventura County Fair Board, the Camarillo Chamber of Commerce, Bank of A. Levy, Bank of America, Peoples Lumber Company, Los Rancheros Visitadores, California State Fair Board and California Lima Bean Growers Association.

 

Additionally, Adolfo was a prominent member of the Pleasant Valley School District Board of Trustees for 57 years, from 1894 to 1951. In 1950, Pope Pius XII named Adolfo a Knight of St. Gregory.

 

Adolfo also gave to the community in other ways. He provided 50 acres of land for the first high school in Camarillo, which is named for him. He also donated property for the Southern Pacific Railroad (SPRR) to come through Camarillo, and for the new Conejo Grade (Highway 101) in 1937. In 1939, Adolfo provided land for the construction of St. John's College at the Seminary.

 

A significant factor in the location of the town of Camarillo was the decision of the SPRR to lay tracks through the area in 1898. Overriding the objections of Adolfo and Juan, the SPRR named the town "Camarillo" in 1899. A depot was constructed in 1910, and the town site of Camarillo was laid out that same year by William Fulton. Camarillo was established on forty acres adjacent to, and west of the Rancho Calleguas, at the SPRR tracks and Ventura Blvd

 

Six years after the death of Adolfo Camarillo, the town named for him became a city. On September 29, 1964, voters decided cityhood for Camarillo and elected Ned Chatfield, Stan Daily, Earl Joseph, Edith Rouce and Guy Turner as the first City Council- members. Camarillo incorporated with some 10,000 residents, and a land area of 5.5 square miles. The official City Seal bears the resemblance of Adolfo atop one of his famous White Horses.

 

 

On October 22, 1964, the first Camarillo City Council convened at Pleasant Valley (now Los Primeros) School. That evening, Earl Joseph was selected as the City's first Mayor. In 1967, the new City Hall and Council Chambers were established in a former Bank of America branch located at 67 Palm Drive.

 

On July 4, 1977, the present City Hall was dedicated. The former site became the location for the Camarillo Police Department, until they moved into their current facility on Las Posas Road in 1995.


VENTURA COUNTY

Ventura County is a county in the southern part of the California.  It is located on California's Pacific Coast. It is often referred to as the Gold Coast, and has a reputation of being one of the safest populated places and one of the most affluent places in the country. 

 

It is ranked as one of the 100 highest-income counties highest-income counties in the country and as the sixth wealthiest county in California by per capita income.[citation needed] This is partly because it is part of the Tech Coast Area,[citation needed] and has a large presence in technology corporations like telecommunications, healthcare, development, and especially biotech corporations, most of which are located in the Conejo Valley. As of December 2008, the median home price was $355,000.

 

As of the 2010 census, the county had a population of 823,318. The county seat is the city of Ventura (formally known as San Buenaventura). Ventura County's largest city is Oxnard, with a population of about 200,000.